Celebrating 10 years of helping
new teachers teach better -- faster!
The Jewish New Teacher Project (JNTP) provides a turbo boost to Jewish day schools by increasing teacher effectiveness, teacher retention and student achievement and bringing the language of teaching standards, collaboration and professional development into school culture.
When we focus on teachers, our students succeed.
JNTP is dedicated to improving student learning by accelerating the effectiveness of beginning teachers in Jewish day schools. Our teacher induction model focuses on improving beginning teachers’ classroom practice through high quality, intensive mentoring, resulting in reflective practitioners who are responsive to the needs of all students, creating stronger classrooms and leading to higher student achievement.
JNTP-trained mentors meet weekly with their beginning teachers and guide them in developing practical skills in classroom management, lesson planning and pedagogy, and also provide emotional and practical support as they adjust to their first years of teaching.
Measures of our impact include:
- Trained over 220 mentors to improve the effectiveness of more than 660 beginning teachers
- In 2013-2014 alone, our trained mentors and new teachers are reaching almost 11,500 students!
- Supported new teacher induction in over 95 schools in Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Washington, D.C. and Canada
- Partner with a broad denominational spectrum of Jewish day schools to implement JNTP’s mentoring program in a manner respectful of each school’s philosophy and approach
- Pioneered online mentor forums and online communities of practice for new teachers
- Almost 90% of JNTP-mentored beginning teachers are in the field of Jewish education long-term, compared to the national beginning teacher 5-year retention rate of 50%
- 50% of our mentors and 30% of our new teachers have become teacher leaders in schools, including department heads, curriculum leaders, assistant principals and principals
You get FAR more than what you pay for!
The Jewish New Teacher Project is part of the New Teacher Center (NTC) in Santa Cruz, CA, which, since 1998, has been renowned for its comprehensive, research-based instructional mentoring and professional development programs. NTC is one of the most innovative, impactful, entrepreneurial, scalable non-profits in the country. The organization has won almost every award in the U.S. for social innovation and scalability and recently won a $14.68 million Investing in Innovation (i3) Validation grant from the U.S. Department of Education.
When you work with JNTP, not only do you benefit from our decade of expertise in Jewish day schools, you also benefit from the association with one of the most sophisticated organizations addressing educational improvement in the country!